Thursday 3 June 2010

PRIMARY SCHOOL PLASTICINE

One of the first materials we used in primary school when it was time for "arts & crafts", was plasticine. At aged 5, we usually just enjoyed rolling it out into as long a snake as possible, sometimes ending up like a 2ft piece of string if the didn't snap during the rolling!
However, I can remember the very last ever arts & crafts session I had there. Now aged 12, and in my final week at primary, which would have been June 1970, I set about making the World Cup trophy. It was approximately the same size as the real one, but in 2D rather than 3D, flat with sculpted details. It was then sprayed gold and mounted onto white card, similar to my wee recreation above.
The World Cup back then was called the Jules Rimet trophy, and just like Brazil who got to take the real thing home for keeps that year, I too got to take mine home.
When I went to secondary school, the material used in art class had changed to "modelling clay". So feeling a bit older at this stage (7 weeks!), the opinion had become - plasticine was for bairns!

2 comments:

  1. plasticine brilliant stuff and not just for school I spent hours and hours playing with this at home too, I remember going to my cousins house in Midmill and they were eating the stuff! no they weren't mongs they had the next evolutionary step in coloured mud - Playdough and a brilliant marketing ploy ;- 1 bairns are always hungry, 2 they eat the playdough, 3 none left Mum buys more to keep them happy.
    and then there was salt dough for the hardened modeler ;D
    the bear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the smell of plasticine and, as well, we had to have something to keep it in so I had one of my Dad's 'baccy tins which added to the aroma..lolol. Playdough was just never the same.

    ReplyDelete